The National Jewish Health team has more experience with the diagnosis and treatment of beryllium disease than any other group in the world. We emphasize early disease detection and intervention to halt or slow disease progression. Effective treatment for symptomatic beryllium disease is steroid therapy that stabilizes the disease and often improves symptoms, keeping people active and in the workforce. The later the disease is detected, the greater the health consequences.
Our comprehensive diagnostic capabilities include:
- Clinical laboratory testing including the beryllium lymphocyte proliferation test (BeLPT) for beryllium sensitization
- Complete medical evaluations by board-certified specialists
- Impairment evaluations (Department of Labor EEOICP) by certified, experienced examiners can be performed upon request.
- Pulmonary function testing
- Exercise tolerance testing and assessment of gas exchange
- Diagnostic chest imaging, including in-house B-readers for chest x-rays
- Facilities for performing bronchoscopy, lavage, and lung biopsy
- Medical record review
- Review of exposure sampling data
We also coordinate with local healthcare providers as appropriate to ensure effective diagnosis and case management.
For more information on any of our clinical beryllium-related services, including BeLPTs and clinical evaluation services, please contact us at [email protected] or 1.800.423.8891, x1722.
Assessing a Company's Beryllium Exposure and Related Health Risks
The Industrial Outreach Program at National Jewish Health offers a comprehensive array of services, which can be tailored to meet a company's individual needs. We are composed of occupational and environmental medicine specialists, certified industrial hygienists, epidemiologists, immunologists, biostatisticians, laboratory technologists, health educators, and contract coordinators. Working together, our multidisciplinary team provides a range of services to numerous private and government beryllium-using facilities across the U.S., including BeLPT testing, clinical evaluation, exposure sampling, medical surveillance program design or review, risk assessment, on-site and web-based beryllium education, respirator fit testing, and industrial hygiene evaluation and design.
For more information on any of our beryllium-related services, including BeLPTs, clinical evaluation services, industrial hygiene, educational presentations, and consulting, please contact us at [email protected], or 1.800.423.8891, x1722.
Additional Information on Beryllium
Additional information about beryllium can be found on the following web sites: