Summary: 12 Nose Bleed Tips
Nosebleeds are no fun! Learn what causes them and how to stop nosebleeds correctly.
Treating a Bloody Nose
- Sit up straight and tilt head forward, NOT backward.
- Pinch soft part of your nose closed for 10 minutes.
- Breathe through the mouth.
- Apply ice to nose.
- Check for bleeding after 10 minutes.
- Apply a saline-based nasal gel inside nostrils.
- Avoid blowing your nose for 48 hours, then blow gently.
- Keep your mouth open to sneeze.
- Avoid rubbing or picking your nose.
- Elevate your head for sleep.
- Avoid lifting, bending and straining your body.
- Avoid medications containing aspirin and ibuprofen.
If bleeding continues, notify your doctor or visit the nearest urgent or emergency medical facility.
- Dry Air
- Nose Picking
- Blood Thinners
- Foreign object
- High blood pressure
- Long-term use of nasal decongestant sprays
- Using oxygen via a nasal canula
More Information on Nosebleeds